Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jewelry piece of the month

I needed a little fiber art break and decided to introduce my favorite jewelry piece. It is a bracelet from my jewelry line ''Mermaids Teardrops'. The  bracelet is made of beach glass pieces which I collect from beaches in the Miami area or beaches in Virginia. I do not use tumbled glass at all. Part of the fun is collecting the glass or other sea treasures for that matter. An other important part of my jewelry is the fact that I try to create treasures from other people's trash. The edges of the glass pieces are smooth from laying in the water for a long time. The glass pieces are drilled and then strung on a japanese elastic wire. In between the glass pieces I string either small glass or wood beads or if I can find some interesting seeds I use those as well. As you can imagine this is not a light weight bracelet but it has a very nice fit and therefore is very comfortable to wear. The bracelets not only have a very eye catching look, the sound the glass pieces make is very special too. My customers enjoy both wearing the bracelet.
So far I have only been able to make white / brown/ green bracelets. I am still dreaming of finding enough big blue glass pieces to add a blue one to the collection.

For more information about my beach glass jewelry, prices and where to purchase it contact me either trough my blog or the link on my blog to my web site.

3 comments:

TB said...

I like the beach glass jewelry. Good ideas, actually implemented. Very nice.

Charis Webb said...

I love the beach glass jewelry and as I am a ravenous collector of beach glass I would love to know how you are drilling it. So far my drilling attempts have only resulted in broken beach glass. Thanks, Charis

Maya Schonenberger said...

Hi Charis
I use diamond drills and drill under water. The pieces need to lay as flat as possible so support them. Do not press too hard and do not drill in one step.
Let me know if you need more help.

Maya