Monday, February 25, 2008

Magnet Wire


I have been experimenting for a while now incorporating magnet wire into my art work. I have worked with several different wire gauges. The thinner the wire the easier the knitting or crocheting was for me. Right now I am enjoying knitting with the wire and using the created mesh as an element for my mixed media work. I use very large knitting needles (size 19 mm) to get a loose knit that I can easily manipulate and pull or stretch into whatever shape I want to. In the beginning the feeling of using such big needles with a thin wire was very odd. I tried very hard to 'work' with a good tension like I would when using a regular yarn. The less I worried about tension the easier the knitting became  and once I had figured that out  it took only a short time to get used to the new knitting feeling. By now the knitting has become relaxing and I am looking forward to more knitted surfaces.

1 comment:

quiltkunstquilt said...

What a great idea! Love your wire knitting!
Christiane