Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bernina 820 / 830

Wow yesterday was THE day, I was 'test driving' the new Berninas.
Before I even start raving about the new machine let me say this. I still think the price tag is unbelievably high and I wish Bernina would have offered a machine with the same arm size with a reduced set of features, in the price range of the 440. That machine would have been affordable for a wider range of customers.

I have not played with a new sewing machine for a very long time and I mean a veeeeeery long time, so this event was a real revelation for me. I got to enjoy for the very first time the advantages of the BSR (Bernina stitch regulator). This feature itself was absolutely wonderful, it for sure would make machine quilting a lot easier for me. There were students in the class that did not enjoy the BSR, but it worked great for me. I guess it is a matter of preference. Since I do not do any type of embroidery the 830 would not be a machine for me. The main advantage of the 820 for me is space between the needle and the machine. It would be perfect for my type of work. I would be a bit worried about all those sensors and technology in that machine. My stitching can be really 'dirty', pieces of gesso paint falling off, etc, but according to the Bernina representative this should not be an issue either. All in all for sure a great machine.

No comments: