Sunday, May 31, 2009

Miami and Iguanas: or a new studio companion


Never a dull, moment or life is exciting, it depends on your point of view. I any case it is rainy season in South Florida, I prefer to stay inside at least in the afternoons. My studio overlooks my lush back yard and guess who moved in 'Igu'. Yes he is a green Iguana, and I named him. He is 'charming', rather pretty, not at all shy, big, and he fore sure kept me from working. I just have to watch him. He eats the fruit from our queen palm, so far no damage on my other plants and flowers. Of course I am defending my mangos, there is a point when I do not believe in sharing any more.  To be honest I hope he will move on, but from what I read chances are slim. Oh well, so far so good. 
My only worries are my cats. Has anyone any experience with wild Iguanas and cats living in the same back yard? So far I could keep them apart since the Iguana seems to be on a very regular schedule. He shows up for lunch and a break in the afternoon.  We had one close call, the cat was NOT afraid which worries me even more since those claws of Igu look very scary.

No comments: