Friday, June 13, 2008

Janome Gem Platinum 760

I got myself a new 'toy'. As a Bernina girl for the last 40 years it is quite a step to move to another sewing machine. But I have been looking for a small light machine for a while. Nothing will replace my good old Bernina, but there is simply no way I would take that machine on a trip by plane. Of course I considered renting a machine but I had the opportunity to try the Janome Jem in one of my workshops I taught. And I liked what I saw immediately. So I started doing some searching to see if I could find a little machine that would offer me most of the things I love about my Bernina. I am convinced I found it. The only real important thing missing is the knee lift, but I will manage without it! This little machine has many more stitches than I will ever use, many more buttonholes and other features. But it has a good straight stitch for my type of work, a great free motion foot and it handles easily. 

8 comments:

GingerThreads said...

Any idea what a good price is for the Janome Gem Platinum 760?

Maya Schonenberger said...

I paid $ 300 with lost of extra stuff.

GingerThreads said...

Maya, that is amazing! When I saw one at my local dealer last week, it was "on sale" for $599 (regular price $750!) If I am to afford one, I MUST find a better price! Your deal was awesome!

Maya Schonenberger said...

Robin, I did not realize I had such a good deal. In fact I just double checked if that was really the prize I paid and yes it was.

Maya Schonenberger said...

Robin I bought a used Janome, that explains the good deal.

Sylvie said...

Maya,

I am also interested into buying a Platinum 760 for travelling. Are you still happy with yours?

What do you and/or don't you like about this machine?

Did you buy your used one in a store or directly from the owner? If it is from a store, where did you get it. I am interested into buying a used one but have not found any yet.

Sylvie

Anonymous said...

brubakers has the janome jem 760 for 499.00 also there is a 50.00 coupon good for presidents day sale. that would make it 449.00 i think the sale ends 2-22-09????? here is the number 1-800-466-7315

Maya Schonenberger said...

Sylvie, I am still very happy with my Janome. I bought the machine used. But the Janome is only my travel machine not my daily 'workhorse'.