Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Trying a new 3 D surface


I wanted to get a more 3 D effect for my mixed media backgrounds. I have been experimenting with knitted meshes lately, but I still feel I want to be able to get more depth without using a 'hard' material. This time I tried a combination of paper and silk. On a muslin backing I glued and stitched papers and fabrics. The papers are all torn. Torn etches add an interesting feeling to the surface and make the blending from fabric to paper very 'natural' looking. On top of my layers I 'crunched' a very thin sheer silk, pinned it in place and glued and stitched the piece down.  On the other side I used a piece of silk embroidered with beads. I then painted the piece with acrylic paint. On top of the dry piece I added a layer of medium and two layers of UV protection. Stitching trough the layers was easy except for the beaded area. I broke some needles doing that part. 

No comments: